Titania Fairy Wings
For the last week my life has been completely taken over by fairy wings... this particular pair are for part of a Titania costume that my client will be wearing to a Midsummer Night's Dream Ball this weekend. Titania is the queen of the fairies so these had to be particularly special and work well with a glorious old white, embroidered wedding dress that will make up the main part of her costume. I made 8 separate wings sections from a fairly stiff wire, then covered them in silk, lace, netting, crocheted doilies and embroidered fabric before embellishing them by individually sewing on beads and 7 different types of sequins. To ensure that the wings would stand well while being worn I build a strong middle section that held all of the wing peices together and will stop them from flapping around. This was wrapped with cushion stuffing for comfort and then covered in white lace and decorated with some foam roses which I highlighted in an iridescent glitter to tie them in with the effect of the sequins. Instead of using elastic to attach them to the body I have used a light ribbon which allows the placement of the wings to be adjustable and will also tie in well with her costume.
This summer saw the first of my close friends tying the knot as my beautiful & amazing friend Olivia became Mrs. Burchell at a sweet, intimate ceremony at Lubstock Festival in Leicestershire. Definitely not the conventional type, Olivia decided to swap the traditional 'white wedding' for one swathed in golds and purples with a flock of fairy bridesmaids, & my god did she look stunning! I wanted to make her something special to wear on her big day so set to work making her a pair of wings of her own. I used the frame of an old pair of fancy dress wings & covered then in some lovely creamy gold embroidered fabric by Laura Ashley. I then sewed on pieces of crocheted doilies, flowers and trimming which were then embellished with gold & purple beads & a numerous amount of individually sewn on sequins. As a finishing touch I attached a number of creamy coloured leaf skeletons and a small bouquet of white and purple paper flowers which I'd lightly spayed with a hint of gold. Visit the Arts & Crafts Gallery for more photos.
I've just finished a new pair of fairy wings to be part of the display at The Silver Lining in Mullumbimby. The frames are made of wire, I covered them in 2nd hand fabrics that I found in charity shops, embellished them with doilies, sequins, beads and small pieces of mirror, and have sewed ribbons in which can be tied around the shoulders to make straps.
Sewing sewing sewing...
The last couple of weeks have been a bit quiet on the make-up front so I've been giving sewing a go. First I gathered some off-cuts and embellishments to jazz up a pair of poor bedraggled fairy wings I found that were no more than wire and mutilated stocking material :
Next I cautiously approached the sewing machine with an old cushion cover , more offcuts and some help from
http://www.instructables.com/id/TuTu-Crazy/ and voilia! A tutu! Feeling quite pleased with myself as I've never made an item of clothing before :)